When it comes to consuming cannabis, there are two important considerations – the type of marijuana and the delivery method (or device you use to ingest it). Don’t be limited to the method you started with, learn how to dab, use a bong, or roll a joint!
Then once you’ve found your favorite device, learn what kinds of cleaning solutions work to clean your prized bongs, pipes, & bowls for the cleanest high?
Keep reading to discover how to use and clean your favorite marijuana smoking devices on the journey to the perfect high.
Why choose to smoke a joint or blunt? Joints allow for portioned hits, which allows you to control your high. It’s also a fun social experience easily shared with others.
The difference between a joint and a blunt is that a joint uses cigarette or hemp paper while a blunt uses a hemp wrap or tobacco leaf. Joints and blunts are iconic ways to consume cannabis and learning how to roll one is a cherished rite of passage for a new smoker.
There are different flavors and paper shapes to help the creative rollers out there. For all of your joint or blunt rolling needs, take a look at our diverse selection of papers, tips, and wraps.
Which forms of marijuana can you smoke in a joint or blunt?
Blunts and joints typically contain cannabis flower. Users can experiment by adding concentrates like shatter or crumble, but be careful not to ignite the oil with the lighter.
How to Smoke a Joint or Blunt
1. Break down the flower with a grinder or by hand.
2. Place the herb into the paper and roll it up. If you are having trouble, you can buy a simple rolling machine to make it easier.
3. Light one end and inhale from the other.
4. You can put it out in an ashtray when you have inhaled enough doses and light it again when you’re ready for more.
The perfect roll takes practice, but it’s a satisfying feeling when your friends eventually come to you to roll the perfect joint.
Bongs or water pipes are one of the most popular ways to consume cannabis. They are relatively easy to operate, and once you learn how to inhale correctly, this device will deliver smooth hits time and again.
A bong is a water filtration device that consists of a bowl-stem, a water container or chamber, and an inhalation tube. The user lights the herb in the bowl and the smoke travels through the downstem, builds in the chamber, and is released through the inhalation tube.
First-time users are advised to start with small bowls before building up to larger ones. This is because the hit that is delivered in a bong is more intense than the one delivered in a joint or blunt.
For the smoothest hits, browse our wide selection of gorgeous water pipes ranging from simple designs to heady creations.
What form of cannabis can you smoke in a bong?
Bongs are perfect for burning cannabis flower. Users can experiment with crumble on top of their flower bowls for enhanced highs.
How to Smoke a Bong
1. Fill the bong with enough water to cover the stem’s filtration holes. Be careful not to overfill as this will cause you to inhale water while you’re hitting.
2. Grind or break down the flower and pack it into the bowl. The weed in the bowl should be tightly packed, but loose enough to allow for airflow.
3. Use a lighter to burn the weed and inhale through the mouthpiece at the same time.
4. Lift the bowl and finish the dose by inhaling the rest of the smoke.
5. Reset by placing the bowl back in place.
Water pipes help to filter and cool down the smoke before it reaches your lungs. They also provide an easier delivery method than having to roll a joint. For an added cooling effect if your hits are too hot, try adding ice to the inhalation chamber.
Hand pipes have an important role in the smoker’s toolkit. Most cannabis smokers begin with a pipe while they are still learning how to roll a joint and need something more discreet than a bong.
The most common type of hand pipe is a spoon-shaped pipe. Spoon pipes have a bowl on one end and a mouthpiece on the other. Sometimes they have a carburetor hole that allows the user to control the pressure of the air flow during their inhale.
The beauty of a hand pipe is the convenience.
You can have your weed pre-broken down in a plastic baggy and scoop it up with your spoon pipe to pack it. In a matter of seconds you’re ready to go. The glass also does a great job of preventing smoke from sticking to your hands like it does when you smoke a joint.
If you are just starting on your journey or starting a new chapter, take a look at our wide selection of pipes to help you tell your story.
What do you smoke in a pipe?
Pipes are another great delivery method for smoking cannabis flower. Users can experiment with crumble on top of their flower bowls, too.
How to Use a Weed Pipe
1. Grind or break down the flower and pack it into the bowl. The weed in the bowl should be tightly packed, but loose enough to allow for airflow.
2. Use a lighter to burn the weed and inhale through the mouthpiece at the same time.
3. Control the dosage by using your finger to block or release the airflow in the carburetor hole. Closing the hole with your finger allows smoke to build in the pipe while releasing it improves the airflow for inhaling.
4. When you are ready to finish your dose release your finger from the hole and finish inhaling the hit.
There is a wide variety of hand pipes and styles to choose from that make the process of smoking easy and convenient to manage. From chillums to Sherlock pipes, there is a piece for every personality.
The concept of using a dab rig has been heating up as the cannabis industry gains traction. Dabs provide users with a profound high due to the concentrated forms of THC or CBD that is present in the extracts.
The oils used in dabbing are created by extracting THC and other cannabinoids from the marijuana plant. The process involves using a solvent such as carbon dioxide or butane – the main cause for health concerns.
If the extraction process isn’t done correctly, it can result in ‘dirty’ oil that has residual solvents or chemical contaminants. In order to ensure you are buying the highest quality wax, make sure it is third-party batch-tested or research the company’s extraction process.
When the extraction process is done right, dabbing can be one of the healthiest ways to consume THC or CBD. When you want to consume wax, shatter, or oil, you’re going to need a dab rig. The method of inhaling is similar to a bong, but higher temperatures are used to vaporize the dab.
If you need a dab rig, banger, dab tool, or electronic nail, be sure to check out our selection of gorgeous pieces to help you take the tastiest dabs.
What do you smoke in a dab rig?
Dab rigs help convert concentrates like shatter, wax, or crumble into vapor for the user.
How to Hit a Dab Rig Banger
1. Fill your rig with water until just above the filtration holes. Same as with a bong, make sure you take a test hit to ensure water doesn’t splash into your mouth while inhaling.
2. If you are using a torch, light the banger until the base is cherry red. If you are using an electronic nail, the safest temperature range is 375-500 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Wait 45-60 seconds to let the banger cool down to a healthy temperature. In the meantime, you can use your dabber tool to scoop the dose you want.
4. An effective dose for first timers will be no bigger than the size of a pencil tip. Start small and go from there.
5. Take your dab tool and drop the concentrate into the banger. Move the dabber around as you get all the concentrate to vaporize.
6. Let the banger nail cool down before taking another dose.
Dabbing has a number of benefits once you get over the learning curve. One last tip for newbies – if your lungs are hurting when you dab, your dabs are too hot. Wait a little longer after heating up the banger and it’ll result in more flavorful dabs that are a pleasure to take.
If you are a cannabis consumer who needs a convenient and portable way to smoke weed, your best option is a vape pen. Most devices are the size of your phone or as small as a pencil so you can easily carry it around with you while you’re on-the-go.
Vaping is mostly odor-free and allows the user to have full control. Simple vapes can be good for beginners who want to buy disposable cartridges, but there are vapes for the fine-tuners out there, too. Advanced vapes have a range of temperature settings, mouth-piece sizes, and digital screens to help you achieve the perfect hit.
Is vaping safe?
In light of the vaping scares that you may have read about, vaping weed is a healthy alternative to smoking. The only way you can be sure your weed is of the highest quality is to ensure you buy it from places that third-party batch-test and talk transparently about their extraction processes. In other words, don’t buy from your neighbor’s lab.
There are different types of vape pens that can burn or vaporize substances, ranging from disposable cartridges for oil to reusable hand-held vapes for flower. Whether you are just starting out or looking to upgrade to a better vape, browse our selection of vape pens and vape devices.
What do you smoke in a vape pen?
Vape pens are the most diverse smoking devices on the list. While most vape pens use disposable cartridges filled with oil, others can utilize all forms of cannabis (flower and concentrates).
How to Use a Vape Pen
Vape pens with reusable cartridges
1. Twist cartridge into charged battery. If your device uses wax or flower, place it into the loading tray.
2. Depending on how your battery works, there may be a button to press. If you have a button, press the button and inhale for 3 seconds. If you don’t have a button, simply inhale until your heart’s content.
3. Let the battery cool down between hits to prevent the heat from burning terpenes in your oil.
4. Repeat until the desired dosage has been achieved.
Vapes that can use wax or flower
1. Load the tray, herb oven, or herb chamber with wax or flower.
2. Turn it on or plug it in and set the desired temperature. For vaping flower, it’s recommended to start in the 177 to 204 degrees Celsius and work up by 2-5 degrees at a time. For wax, it’s safest to stay within the range of 170-260 degrees Celsius.
3. After your temperature is reached, we suggest waiting 15-30 seconds before inhaling through your vaporizer whip or mouthpiece. You can repeat until it tastes burnt.
4. Once the flower is burnt or wax is gone, turn off the vaporizer before trying to replenish.
Vape pens are the go-to option for stealthy smokers and smokers who want something easier on their lungs than bong or joint. It’s easy to use and an effective way to measure how much THC or CBD you are receiving per day.
After a few uses, your glass or silicone pieces will begin to build up a weed resin. In the beginning it doesn’t matter too much, but after many uses this can look gross and change the taste of the inhale.
To clean your bong, pipe, or bowl and remove any odors we recommend using the basic, traditional isopropyl alcohol and salt technique. Here’s what to do:
To clean large weed pipes and glass bongs:
1. Rinse the piece with warm water to remove any remaining loose particles.
2. Fill the piece with isopropyl alcohol. You can soak it completely if you want or use enough to clean the grime.
3. Pour the salt in. We recommend an abrasive like coarse salt, but you can use rice or baking soda, too.
4. Let it soak for a few minutes to an hour depending on how dirty your piece is.
5. Cover both ends (the mouthpiece and the stem) and shake with enough vigor to move the salt around without breaking your piece.
6. Rinse and repeat until you achieve the desired cleanliness.
To clean smaller pieces, like glass pipes:
1. Same as with big pieces, you’ll want to rinse your hand pipe with warm water to remove any loose particles.
2. Place the piece inside a sealable plastic bag.
3. Fill the bag with enough isopropyl alcohol to soak the bowl section of the piece.
4. Pour your abrasive in, we prefer salt. You’ll figure out how much you need as you’re cleaning it. If it’s taking a long time to scrub clean, you probably need a little more salt.
5. Shake the bag in a motion that helps guide the salt through the piece, without breaking the piece.
6. Rinse and repeat until it’s looking brand new.
We recommend cleaning your glass bongs, weed pipes, etc. at least once a month depending on how often you use them. If you are hitting your bong and it seems a little difficult to inhale or the taste is off in your pipe, it’s time to thoroughly clean them.
The salt and isopropyl alcohol method is the cheapest, most convenient way to clean your pieces, but you can also utilize patented formula cleaners. Follow their directions and make sure you thoroughly rinse them with water when you are happy with the appearance of your pieces.
Getting high is as varied as all of the smoking devices listed in this article. Finding your favorite takes time, but even then there’s no harm in branching out to a new device. Our recommendation: enjoy the journey to smoother, more pleasurable highs.